A few short items of note:
- U.S. Senators Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken will be in the area next week for the kickoff ceremony for Carver County’s fiber network project. The event will be Tuesday, August 16 at the Carver County Public Works Building on Highway 212 in Cologne. The event starts at 2:30 p.m.
- The special session is in our rear-view mirror by almost a month now, but the recriminations keep on coming. The recent debt ceiling meltdown and the possibility of a double-dip recession has raised the possibility that the now-balanced budget may not be balanced next year. Which would mean that we might get to relive the budget battle in January instead of in 2013.
- The combination of redistricting and the sour taste left in everyone’s mouth by the end of the legislative session has generated a lot of talk statewide about new faces entering the political scene and old faces meeting unexpected challenges. One conservative radio host has said she expects at least 12 GOP incumbents to face primary challenges in 2012. Are any of Carver County’s legislators looking over their shoulders?
- Chaska’s Kentucky Fried Chicken has closed. You’ll have to Double Down somewhere else.
- The immensely popular Touch-A-Truck at the Chaska Community Center is coming up on Thursday, August 18, from 5 – 7:30 p.m. Get there early!